For some people, traveling is beyond a hobby; it’s a way to escape life. But the most crucial decision is where to travel and how to optimize your trip within a budget. Well, we all think that Travelling Abroad is expensive! Planning a trip abroad with family might be heavy on your pockets.
It’s time to break the myth… Actually, there are a plethora of international destinations that will not only be easy on your pocket but will also provide you with the most cherishable experiences in life. One can easily travel to a foreign country in the same budget as would be needed for a domestic trip. All it requires is planning and a lot of research.
We know that just the sound of the word ‘research’ feels lethargic. Therefore, we have covered this difficult part for you already. Now, you are left with the work of choosing one for yourself. Well, that has to be done by you. Here, check out the top 7 cheapest destinations below.
Table of Contents
Nepal is an aesthetically beautiful country with lofty peaks and scenic landscapes, snow peaks and streams, yaks and monasteries. Situated in the foothills of the Himalayas, it is a true treasure stockpile for nature lovers and adventure freaks.
If you want to take a break from the hustle and bustle of the city life, Nepal should be your next destination to experience a pause. Do wander across local markets to shop some of the exquisite Nepalese handicrafts.
- Cost of Food – A typical meal would cost you between 2.5 USD and 7 USD per person, depending upon the place to choose to dine.
- Stay – A nice hostel in Kathmandu would start from as low as USD 5 per night per person while a decent hostel room will cost you between USD 20 and 30.
- Not to Forget – Visit the rich temples in Kathmandu and Pokhara – they do not charge any entry fee. If you are a nature lover then Parsa Wildlife Reserve, Shivapuri Nagarjun National Park, Shuklaphanta Wildlife Reserve might be your ideal places to explore. For adventure junkies, you should definitely try trekking on the World’s Highest Peak – Mt. Everest Base Camp for an escapade beyond the ordinary.
2. Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka is the another “so-called” cheap backpacking destination, a home to landscapes and culture. Known for the amazing beaches, delicious cuisines, waterfalls and peace, this country is perfect for solo travelers with low budget.
One can get great hotels without spending a bomb and the location would boast scenic landscapes. If exploration of ethnicity is also on your bucket list, you cannot brush Sri Lanka aside.
- Cost of Food – Meals can range from anywhere between USD 1.5 and 6.5, and above depending on your choice of place. A Classical Sri Lankan fish curry on the street or local markets will cost you less than USD 1.5.
- Stay – You can choose hostels and Airbnb which are the cheapest accommodations you can find. They will charge you as low as USD 10 – 20 per night. Hostels and dormitory-style accommodation might start at a mediocre USD 9/night; however, hotel rooms may range from USD 15 to 20/night onwards.
- Not to Forget – Some of the places of attraction in Sri Lanka are Colombo, Kandy, Yapahuwa Kurunegala, Galle, Kirinda, Sabaragamuwa, Panduwasnuwara, Dambadeniya, Matara.
Besides, heritage visits, wildlife visits, religious tours, and water sports are some of the activities to do in Sri Lanka.
With a rich heritage of culture and picturesque jungle, Indonesia is like an all-time favorite destination on Earth. Of the cheapest places to travel, you can make the most of a trip to Indonesia and enjoy the best scuba diving, world-class surfing,
If you are someone who desires world-class experiences within a budget, Indonesia is your one-stop destination.
- Cost of Food – Seafood lovers will love this country as well! The food is quite affordable, costing around USD 10, whereas dining at good local restaurants could cost USD 25 per day. Indonesia has placed heavy taxes on alcohol, an imported wine will cost you around USD 20 while beer may cost you around USD 10.
- Stay – You can find cheap and quality accommodation in Indonesia, hotels starting from USD 25 per night. Further, some three-star hotels cost as little as USD 30 per night. For cheaper options, dormitories and hostels are available which will cost you less than USD 25 per night.
- Not to Forget – Don’t miss the islands of Raja Ampat, Bali, Sumatra, Sumbawa, Lombok, Gili Islands, Flores, and more! Make sure you visit the volcano tours, cultural visits, leisure tours, water sports, and religious tours. Enjoy the Bali Village cycling tour, Spa treatments at places like Anika spa to make your trip memorable.
Malaysia is one of the major tourist hubs in Southeast Asia with picturesque landscapes, pleasant climate, beautiful beaches,
Kuala Lumpur is a famous shopping destination – a center for fashion in Malaysia having the world’s fourth-largest mall “1 Utama”! Malaysia is also known for its colonial architecture, calm and composed beaches, and rejuvenating rainforests. It is also one of the most popular destinations for a
- Cost of Food – The local restaurants are very affordable, a meal at local restaurants will cost around USD 4 per person.
- Stay – Hotels are cheap, ranging from USD 9 and above if you book in advance. You can also easily find dormitories or hostels starting from USD 4/night.
- Not to Forget – Malaysia is known for its Nature tours, local sightseeing, shopping, wildlife tours, and cultural visits. Make sure that you visit Miri Kangar, Kuala Lumpur, Labuan, Pangkor, Petronas Towers, Redang Island, Elephant Orphanage Sanctuary, Sarawak, Chinatown Trishaw night tour, Rantau Abang Island, Kapas Island, and dinner along Singapore River. Also, Malacca is one of the most famous destinations, just an hour and a half by road from Kuala Lumpur.
Thailand is exceptionally popular for backpackers and young travelers. Sun-kissed beaches, astounding palaces, rich cultural heritage, ancient ruins, and Thai curries makes it one of our favorite destinations to visit.
To get away from the bustle of the city, you can travel to Phi Phi Islands to enjoy the turquoise waters and idyllic beaches. Phi Phi Island is famous among solo travelers as it gives you immense peace and tranquility in the lap of nature.
Enjoy the snorkeling and scuba spots along with night-life at the remote island in Thailand. It simply offers some of the best value-for-money you can find anywhere on this planet.
If you do not wish to waste even a penny of your investment, give Thailand a try. You would not be disappointed.
- Cost of Food – Thailand is famous for its street food. You must check out Nakhon Si Thammarat for some of the very best culinary delights the country has to offer. A full-time meal in Thailand must not cost you more than USD 5.
- Stay – Though hotels are not very expensive to stay in in Thailand
,one can prefer beautiful guest houses and beach huts to make their stay memorable. A hotel can cost you around USD 20/day whereas, the beach huts and houses right on sand can cost you as little as USD 13/night. For solo travelers and backpackers, hostels are the cheapest at USD 2.5 – 4/night.
- Not to Forget – To explore the culture of Thailand, you should visit Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, and Ayutthaya. Ancient Buddha temples, water sports, treks, Elephant Tourism, snorkeling, and scuba spots, Thung Teao Forest Natural Park must be the priorities in Thailand. Other tourist attractions are Lumphini Park, Phuket, Wat Phra Kaew, Santikhiri, Tarutao, and others.
6. Hong Kong
Hong Kong is a go-to place for everyone, be it solo travelers, backpackers or families. The natural beauty, magnificent skyline, the dazzling lights and sound, religious visits, wildlife tours and so much that you can’t resist visiting this place.
Hong Kong is also popular amongst tourists for its famous science and tech parks, monasteries, natural reserves, art shows.
Overall, if you are looking for a place that has it all, go to Hong Kong. Period.
- Cost of Food – Though you may find Hong Kong a little expensive when visiting amusement parks or doing water sports. However, you can save your bucks while eating. Street Food, Noodles, and Dumplings are available at extremely low prices, less than USD 2 per person. You can have a full meal for USD 13 at a local restaurant. If you opt for street food, you can easily fill your tummy for less than USD 2.
- Stay –
AirBnBis the best option for travelers. You can find yourself comfortableaccommodation with great discounts. You can find deals for as low as USD 30/night.
- Not to Forget – Apart from local sightseeing, local shopping, wildlife tours, you can visit these famous tourist attractions- Lantau Island, Central District, Happy Valley, Stanley Market, Nathan Road, Victoria’s Peak, Dragon’s Back Trail, Avenue of the Stars, Hong Kong Museum of Art, Cheung Chau Island, Sai Kung, Macau, Disneyland, and others.
Last but not least on our list of 7 cheapest destinations around the world is Turkey.
With a rich heritage, Islamic architecture and diverse cultures, Turkey is one of the most attractive and cheapest destinations to visit. Your visit to Turkey is incomplete without visiting Istanbul.
Istanbul is arguably the most beautiful kaleidoscope with diverse cultures and ancient architecture. It is one of the most famous tourist spots in the world with extremely pocket-friendly price tags.
The best way to make get the most out of the city is from the Bosphorus Ferry, wandering the streets and enjoying Kebabs.
If you have a thing for ethnic food, board the flight to Turkey today itself.
- Cost of Food – You can eat traditional Turkish food for less than USD 5. Your trip is incomplete without the mouth-watering kebabs. The luscious kebabs are available for less than USD 1.5. Don’t forget to visit the Durum Sandwich stalls for the most delicious sandwiches in the country.
- Stay – You can get comfortable guest house rooms for under USD 20/night. Dormitories and hostels are available at a much cheaper price of USD 7/day. You can also check out Airbnb for cheaper stays starting USD 13/night.
- Not to Forget – Beach Vacations, fun cruises, religious tours, cultural visits are some activities to do in Turkey. Some major tourist attractions are Troy, Ephesus, Pamukkale, Trabzon, Beyoglu, Antalya, Cappadocia,
andthe spice market.
So, which country you are planning to travel next ? Don’t wait for the holidays. Pack your bags and start exploring.
Also, check our blog post 48 Heavenly Hostels You Need to Know Before Planning Your Next Euro-Trip for the most amazing hostels to stay if you plan to visit Europe for your next getaway.