On the early morning of February 6, 2023, two consecutive devastating earthquakes (with magnitudes of 7.8 and 7.7 on the Richter scale, just nine hours apart in the same area) hit Turkey and Syria, killing tens of thousands and injuring hundreds of thousands of people.
During the earthquakes that occurred in Turkey, the land moved more than 3 meters (10 feet) on the fault lines in some places. The photos below show the incredible power of earthquakes.
- 2023 Turkey-Syria earthquake on Wikipedia
- “Satellites Assess Earthquake Damage in Turkey” on the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory website
- 6 Reasons Why Life is Based on Carbon Instead of Silicon - September 9, 2023
- Why are whales unlikely to get cancer? [Peto’s Paradox explained] - September 3, 2023
- 5 Reasons Why We Should Search for Exomoons - August 27, 2023